Friday, June 26, 2009

Not enough hours in the day...

My girlfriend said to me today "I get exhausted just watching you...you're so motivated to create you never stop!" Compliment or point of pure fact...the ever growing inspiration to make new things and work hard has completely taken over my state of mind these days. Not only am I ramping up the hours at the pottery studio for my 4th of July show in Redwood City, but I've taken on a new but old passion...abstract oil painting! Thanks to a generous birthday gift from my girlfriend, I've got a really nice easel which has totally reignited my passion for oil on canvas. I was smart enough to keep all of my painting supplies locked away for 6 years in a very neat and organized bin full of wonderful goodies that create wonderful colors and smells like...well, turpentine.
















It's such an intense emotion to feel like I never have enough creative outlets to fill my time with. Between my mornings with clay, my afternoons at work (teaching guitar) and my evenings out on our back patio in a world of paint...there's just not enough hours in the day to do it all!!! I've got two works in progress at the moment...and again, I only work in oil paints on large canvases so things tend to be messy! What would an artist's life be without a little splash of chaos? 












Painting #1...(work in progress)



















Painting #2...(work in progress)

Along with all this excitement in 2D going on...I've finally been having some success (and some slight mishaps) in the raku kiln lately. While some of my stuff is coming out with surface cracks (I tend to throw on the thin side...) I am still making progress and new work is emerging. Check it out!!! Hope to see some of you at the Redwood City 4th of July celebration so if you're in the area, come down and see some great handmade works of art!


















New raku vase...16 inches high, shiny copper dripped glaze












New raku vase #2....11 1/2 inches high, clear crackle glaze












New raku vase #3...copper sand glaze




















New raku vase #4...18 inches high, copper luster drizzled glaze

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, Chris! I love your paintings and your pots! You're one creative dude! Both outlets have gorgeous shapes and colors.

    ReplyDelete